Robes Wrangler "Recon"

Visa upp dina byggbilder på ditt projekt här

Moderatorer: Marcus, AtEase, volvojonas, MrHawk

Robe
Guru

Re: Robes Wrangler "Recon"

Inlägg av Robe » fre sep 06, 2019 11:30

Insåg att det var ett tag sedan jag uppdaterade här. Vi deltog i Lodbrok offroad raid i Borås och det var riktigt jäkla kul! Bra arrangerat, bra väder, trevligt folk och väldigt mycket häftiga byggen att titta på/ tävla mot!

Skrev ihop en sammanfattning av vår insats och postade på Instagram/Facebook. Kopierar in den här oxå :)

Here comes the after race report, a week after the Lodbrok Offroad Raid Sweden race in Borås, Sweden.

This was the first race and also our first major test of Recon after some big adjustments:
- stretched wheel base
- new rear axle
- lower gear ratio
- larger tires
- and most of all the V8 engine with automatic transmission swap.
What would brake down first? Was the cooler big enough for sun and 34celsius (93F)? You will get the answer(s) below 😄

Last year we couldnt keep up to our time schedule so we missed the first Lodbrok race.
This year, we got there together with 23 other cars/UTVs!
No limits to speak of - just one class! LS engines, portal axles, 42” tires, Ultra4 buggys, trail spider buggys, formula offroad rigs, swamp monsters - you name it, the mix of cars and nationalities was impressive and so much to look at!
The track was a mix of rocks, mud, gravel roads and special stages for 9km (5.6miles).

An hour before the prologue my offroad-addicted friend Jamie Bachman from Canada showed up! By a coincidence he was in Sweden and was in the near by! He witnessed the prologue and took a walk in the pit looking at the cars. You choosed the right day and city my friend! Well played!

Day 1 - Prologue
The prologue was a short track to set the starting order for heat 1. I was a bit nervous sitting in Recon in the line. My pulse rushed and it was mixed feelings of joy and jitters!
We were standing on the start line and when the flag dropped the 1UZ throttle was wide open! My co-driver Marcus did a great job telling me where to go and we finished 3rd of 24 cars!

Day 2 - Heat 1
We started as number 3 and the race was simple. Heat 1 was 4 hours long. 5 laps maximum. And there was 3 special stages along the track that needed to be ran 3 times each. Failing in in number of laps or SS, would add penalty time.
The track was full of rocks. We drove 1 lap and 2 SS. In lap 2 we hit a rock too hard and punctured 1 front tire. We replaced it within minutes and continued driving. Suddenly the front differential locker didnt engage so I assumed that we lost a axle shaft. In lap 2 we broke the rear drive shaft and limped back to camp with only 1 front wheel drive. Not so happy with that race result!

In the pit waiting for heat 2 we built a new rear drive shaft and patched the ripped tire. We filled some gas, drank water and had some lunch until it was time for heat 2.

Day 2 - Heat 2
We got loads of penalty time due to only 2 finished laps in heat 1 so we started as number 9. We drove 1 lap and in lap 2 the steering felt a bit wierd. After a few minutes I could not turn left! Something was broken inside my steering box. We cut heat 3 and managed to get back to the pit. The time was 8PM and now I felt a bit exhausted. We removed the steering box and yes, the teeth was broken. A friend of mine just 15 minutes from the pit had a box at home and we picked it up. Thanks Andreas Jäverfelt!
When we got back to the pit it was late and dark. Next heat was early in the morning day after. Since I run my steering cylinder hooked up as a hydro assist I had to drill and tap the new box. Luckily, I did have drills AND 1/4”
NPT taps with me 😄 I got help during the night from Kristian from team DungBug and by the team Toyota HJ40 with Fredrik Mahlin with crew. I could not have done it without you guys. Thank you!
We crashed in the beds 3PM and line up was 4h later!

Day 3 - Heat 3 (final heat)
In the morning just minutes before line up I found the issue with the front locker. A connector to the switch had jumped off!! Plugged it in and oh Yes - Recon had lockers front and rear again!
In heat 3 you was supposed to drive 4 laps and 2x3 SS.
We started in position 12 due to the bad result in heat 2 the day before. With everything working (lockers, steering, drive shafts) we could keep a good pace. We completed 2 laps but the fuel gauge was at the lower end of the scale! We hadnt had time to fill up our fuel cans in the pit the day before so we did not have any alternative than just continue driving. We drove the last 2 laps and finished without running out of fuel! Heat 3 felt really good!

Thanks to heat 3 we climbed 3 positions and we ended up 9th of 24. Our goal was top 10 so we are happy with it after all.

Thank you all at Lodbrok crew with sponsors making this event come true. Very well done, hats off! Great track! We sure enjoyed it 100%! See you next year!

Thanks to my family, specially Emelie, for taking care of everything back home while I´ve been away at Lodbrok.

Thanks Marcus Gustavsson, Fredrik Mahlin, Daniel Båth and Jakob for your help, support, hospitality and company!

And of course thanks to our sponsors and partners making this possible for us!
Södermalms Maskin AB
PBZ.se
Stockholms Vattenskärning AB
Upplands Bilfärg AB Butiken
Factor 55
Justdifferentials

/Robin

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Kontakt: r.westerlund@gmail.com

@ReconExpedition på Facebook
@ReconYJ_Swe på Instagram

Robe
Guru

Inlägg av Robe » fre sep 06, 2019 11:40

Recon gick ju bra i motorn på Lodbrok-tävlingen men efteråt så gick den lite halvtaskigt. Tvekade på full gas och hostade till då och då på tomgång. Trodde att jag hade löst det problemet när jag hade bytt ut alla kondensatorer i ECUn innan tävlingen. Men problemet kom tillbaka! Det visade sig vara fördelarlocken och statorn! De var heeelt slut och man blev förvånad att motorn ens kunde gå :) Så nu prylar inhandlades och nu i helgen ska jag testa att starta upp den. Hoppas den går jämt och fint. Framförallt på alla 8 burkar! :)

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

/Robin

Victor
Beroende

Inlägg av Victor » fre sep 06, 2019 19:14

Ja, ibland är det smart att börja med det enkla istället för att börja med det värsta :D Bra jobbat :!:
"Känner du alla till nu det skicka så. Le att fall alla i dig fick det men. Det skickade som jäveln den slå vilja att du kommer så baklänges meddelande detta läsa ska man att insett väl du när"

Toyotan

Robe
Guru

Inlägg av Robe » mån sep 09, 2019 15:59

Tack du :)

I lördags var några polare från jobbet över och ville kika in bygget. Det passade bra i samband med testkörningen och se om motorn gick bra igen. Motorn gick som den skulle men det var ganska halt i det blöta gräset! Höll på att bli en high sider men klarade mig denna gången! Som tur är hamnade det på film!

Grottulf
4x4xnerd

Inlägg av Grottulf » tor sep 12, 2019 21:52

Väldigt imponerad av fjädringen! :tumbup:

Grottulf
4x4xnerd

Inlägg av Grottulf » fre nov 13, 2020 22:52

Jag såg precis en Wrangler som såg bekant ut i "dips" på svt1. Var det din?

SpeedKing
Forumräv

Inlägg av SpeedKing » fre nov 13, 2020 23:11

Såg den också i Dips, kul. :D

//John

Skriv svar